Mozart, Rice & German Gnocchi
The Rice Series No. 5
1. Rice Dumplings/Gnocchi German Style (1790)
|A series of famous rice recipes which were already very popular, when Mozart & his father Leopold visited Italy for the first time in 1770, and which soon became international dishes!|
German Rice Gnocchi... Mozart just wants them!
1. RICE DUMPLINGS/GNOCCHI GERMAN STYLE (1790)
Egg Yolks (10; fresh; no white)
Bread (dry, grated; 450gr.; Originario type better)
Cow Milk (ca. 0,2/0,3l; fresh)
Butter (unsalted, softened)
Grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese
Cinnamon (finely minced; a pinch)
1. Put the grated dry bread into a pan with some milk. Let it simmer, stir until you get a thick dough of grated bread.
2. Cook the Rice with milk and not water. It must be almost (but not!) overcooked. When it's ready and cold, put the bread & milk dough and the rice into a blender. Work the ingredients until you get a homogeneous dough. Add nutmeg, cinnamon, Grated Parmigiano cheese and the softened butter and work with the blender again. Adjust salt to taste.
3. Now pour the mixture onto a buttered surface and create a block of bread & rice dough.
4. Then, with a knife, cut the bread & rice dough, in order to create a complete series of small gnocchi/dumplings.
5. When the gnocchi/dumplings are ready, put them in a Terrine, by creating a series of layers.
6. Each layer of gnocchi must be prepared in this way: create a layer of gnocchi, then add grated cheese and melted butter; then create a 2nd layer of gnocchi, add grated cheese and melted butter. Create the last layer the same way.
7. Put the Terrine in hot oven, until the last layer of gnocchi gets a golden/brown colour.
GNOCCHI DI RISO ALLA TEDESCA
Fate un pane grattato assai denso cotto con latte, e fate cuocere con latte una libbra di riso; quando sarà denso, ben cotto, e freddo pestatelo nel mortajo, che venga come una pasta, aggiungeteci quindi il pane grattato anche esso freddo, e di eguale volume, seguitate a pestare; indi metteteci un buon pugno di parmigiano grattato, e un buon pezzo di butirro, pestate ancora, legate con dieci rossi d’uova, condite con sale, noce moscata, e cannella fina, mescolate bene, stendete sopra un coperchio, e fate cuocere i Gnocchi, e serviteli nella Terrina, come i precedenti.